Jac o' lyn Murphy: White Trash vs. Grandma Murphy's Coffee Cake

Saturday, June 20, 2009

White Trash vs. Grandma Murphy's Coffee Cake

It all started with a coffee cake recipe I received from my friend Barbara as a wedding shower gift... It is so good and easy. I make it all the time for hostess gifts, brunches, etc. I gave one to my friend Annie who loved it and asked if I gave out the recipe...of course I shared it with her and warned her that she might not want to know what was in it.

She was shocked and later informed me that her family had named my coffee cake... White Trash Coffee Cake! I thought it was hysterical and soon everyone knew of it as WTCC (some even called it Cheap Date Coffee Cake) but when the time came to use the recipe in our school's cookbook, I went with the more traditional name of Grandma Murphy's Coffee Cake. Call it what you like but it is a guaranteed hit!




All dressed up and ready to be given!


The Recipe

Preheat oven to 350
Grease a bunt pan

Mix ¾ cup of sugar and 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon in a small bowl

Blend in another bowl:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 small box of vanilla instant pudding
¾ cup corn oil
½ cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs

Sprinkle some of the cinnamon mixture in bunt pan until coated
Alternate layer of batter and cinnamon/sugar mixture

(I do 3 layers batter, 2 layers cinnamon sugar). End with a layer of batter.

1 comment:

  1. this is the coffee cake from my friends in "White Trash" Pasadena....thanks for all the great posts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I am thrilled for each one!
If you have a question or would like a source
PLEASE LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin